Tot left with horror burns after opening flesh eating oven cleaner

A young mumwas horrified when she discovered her 21-month-old daughter with horror burns after she managed to open a bottle of highly corrosive oven cleaner and tip it all over the floor.

Emily Lockwood, 21, said daughter Esmae-Cora had spilled the contents of the bottle onto the floor of their kitchen in Colne, East Lancashire, and slipped on it, causing her leg to become 'raw'.

Emily told LancsLive : "I heard a scream so I ran downstairs, and then I just heard her crying. I looked, and her leg was raw, so I took her pants off and put her in the shower. When we came downstairs, I saw the product was all over the floor in the kitchen.

READ MORE: Boy's dream holiday ruined after getting horror sunburn despite using factor 50 suncream

"She’d picked it up by the lid, which has no child lock and she’s tipped it all over the floor and slipped in it. She had pyjamas on, and it back splashed onto the front of her leg."

Emily said she attempted to wash the caustic chemical off her little one's legs in the shower at home before realising just how drastic the burns were, before rushing her to Airedale Hospital where the pair had to sit under a cold shower for six hours, LancsLive reports.

But Emily soon discovered her tot's injuries would need further medical treatment after hospital staff warned the product would carry on ‘eating into her skin'. The family took Esmae-Cora to a specialist burns unit 60 miles away in Wakefield, where she was given an ointment.

Emily said: "The staff said a normal PH level was seven, and hers was 10, and they said that it was so high that it was still corroding. They said if you don’t draw it out, you will start to see her bone; it will basically eat and eat and eat away at everything until it hits the bone.

"If I hadn’t immediately stripped her off and put her in the shower, it could have been much worse. They said what I’d done immediately was fantastic, but anybody else might not have known what to do."

Following the horror accident on May 18, Esmae-Cora had to for treatment three times a week for six weeks.

She was also told to avoid baths for six months and not to go in direct sunlight for 18 months.

Now Emily wants to spread the word to ensure this doesn't happen to other kids.

"It’s my little girl," she said.

"We’ve all done it before – we’ve all gone and bought these cheap cleaning products because they’re cheap but I have learned my lesson and I will never buy a cleaning product without a safety cap on again."

"I have that guilt every day; I know that I could have done more and I have changed the locks on my cupboard doors and put a lock on top of the kitchen door, but it needs dealing with."

She added: "What if she wants to be a model in future and she can’t because she’s got this big massive scar on her leg? She’s my little girl and I’m not stopping until she’s got the recognition she deserves."

READ NEXT:

  • Two injured in terrifying mid-air balloon crash over packed tourist hotspot

  • Flight passenger refuses to swap plane window seat so mum could sit with toddler

  • UK turned into nation of zombies as heatwave wrecks sleep – and sex lives

  • Seven dogs doused in petrol and burned alive in sick arson attack 'leaving cops sobbing'

  • Brit woman, 34, tragically dies after falling seven storeys from balcony in Turkey

Source: Read Full Article