Tot dies after getting tangled in bag ‘hanging on door’ as parents issue warning

A baby tragically died after getting tangled in a small handbag-style rucksack that was hanging on a door handle.

Mia Macphee, from Alness in Scotland, was just 14-months-old when the tragic accident happened on the evening of May 24.

Parents Connor and Hannah had only been away from their toddler in the adjoining room for a few short minutes.

READ MORE: Baby tragically dies two months after his mum in devastating birth

Connor went to check up on their daughter – who was usually loud – when she went quiet. He found her tangled in the straps of the bag.

He screamed for Hannah while frantically untangling Mia. Hannah desperately performed CPR on the tot on the kitchen floor while Connor called 999 for an ambulance to Raigmore Hospital.

Speaking to Press and Journal, the parents described how Mia had been without oxygen. It took somewhere between 30 to 45 minutes for her heart to start beating again.

Mia was then transferred to a hospital in Edinburgh. The family spent four days by her side before she tragically passed away.

Hannah said: "Connor and I lay in bed with her. I had my hand on her chest and could feel her slipping away. Her heart stopped beating.

"We fell asleep with her between us. That was the last proper time we had with our little girl."

"Mia was bubbly, sassy, and every inch a daddy's girl. We could never have foreseen losing her. We thought we had years."

Connor and Hannah issued a warning to others about the dangers of hanging things from doors with young kids around.

"We can't stress this enough to anyone reading this: we didn't even give a bag hanging on a door a second thought. But everyday things like that need to be thought about," Hannah said.

A GoFundMe page was started by members of the local community to support the family while Mia was in hospital. Now, the £5,000-plus raised will help pay for Mia’s funeral flowers and a memory garden.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article