Swimmers discover burnt wetsuit and thousands of nails on Brit beach

Beachgoers were disturbed to find a burnt wetsuit on a popular stretch of shoreline just days after "thousands" of nails and sharp objects were littered across the sand.

A swimmer came across the wetsuit at King Edward's Bay in Tynemouth yesterday morning (Tuesday, June 21) and was shocked to find it was scorched with large burn marks.

The member of the public, who had been out running at the time, quickly alerted the Facebook community group, Totally Tynemouth Collective, in the hope of finding out what had happened.

READ MORE: Brit holiday goers warned as peeing in the Spanish sea could land you with £640 fine

The post – which read: "We’ve found a burnt wetsuit today. WHAT is going on?" – comes as a police investigation was launched on Sunday (June 19) following the hazardous discovery of "thousands" of nails, screws, wires and batteries scattered everywhere.

"The burnt wetsuit was pointed out to me by another swimmer at around 10am on Tuesday," said swimmer Mallory Smith, 69.

"He had been running along the beach and picked it up thinking it could have been repaired, but then saw the extent of the burns.

"I left the suit on the bins. We have no idea what the story was there. Honestly, what next?"

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Northumbria Police confirmed that "enquiries are ongoing" into the nails incident but added that it had not yet received any reports regarding the burnt wetsuit.

Meanwhile, North Tyneside Council said its cleaning teams were stepping up patrols at the beach following the nails incident and urged visitors to take care.

"We clean the beaches every day throughout the summer months, and we also have specialist equipment to rake and sieve the sand to remove smaller pieces of debris," said Sam Dand, the council's director of environment.

"Our seasonal teams have been alerted to the incident and are increasing patrols in this area to help keep it safe and clean for users."

READ NEXT:

  • Doctors find 1kg of nails and screws in man's stomach after he quit boozing
  • Brazen tourists spark fury after having sex on Bali beach in front of horrified locals

  • Kingpin drug dealer KO'd in court by Conor McGregor mural painted on his wall

  • Grave robber who kept skull in bedroom has tattoos of John Wayne Gacy and Satan

  • Arsenal signing Matt Turner's brutal "disgusting" snub to fan in Spurs shirt

Source: Read Full Article