John Yuen spent Friday clearing out the fridge at his Italian restaurant and wondering how he’d manage to scrounge up about $12,000 for his April rent payment after shutting his doors indefinitely over the novel coronavirus outbreak earlier this week.
Ferrovia Ristorante has a loyal following of diners built up over some 20 years in Thornhill, Ont., but though Yuen tried shifting to takeout after the province asked bars and dining rooms to shut down, he only sold about $300 worth of meals over three days.
“It was just not financially feasible,” said Yuen, so he decided to close his doors — hopefully temporarily — on Tuesday. He laid off about a dozen staff.
“This is my baby. This is my love,” Yuen said while removing from the fridge whatever food hadn’t been donated or doled out to staff, family and friends. “It’s very sad. Almost brings tears to my eyes.”
Source: Read Full Article