Puppy accidentally eats his owner’s Apple Airpods – but they still work

A puppy who swallowed Apple Airpods has survived surgery to remove them and they still work.

Rachel Hick, 22, rushed her golden retriever Jimmy to the vets after concluding he was to blame for her headphones vanishing.

Unbelievably, the surgeon at Vets Now in Hull, East Yorkshire, pulled out the Airpod case undamaged with the charging light still on.

Rachel from Willerby, near Hull, explained her “heart sank” when she realised Jimmy had eaten her wireless headphones whole.

She said: “It was Easter Sunday and Jimmy has his own Instagram account, so I was taking photos of him getting his first dog Easter egg to use on Instagram. He was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited.

“As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they’d dropped on the floor, he’d eaten them whole.

“He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say ‘that wasn’t the treat, was it?’ My heart sank.”

Rachel raced the puppy to Vets Now, an out-of-hours pet emergency service in the city, where the case showed up in a scan.

A careful decision had to be made on what action to take as attempting to remove the charging headphones risked leaking battery acid.

  • Horror photos show how cocaine rots skin and genitals ahead of UK drug boom

Senior vet Susana Jauregui, who is senior vet at Vets Now in Hull, said: “Our vet on duty that evening, Steven, x-rayed Jimmy and the radiograph images clearly showed the AirPods case still intact in his digestive system.

“There was a risk of it causing an obstruction and, with it being a charging case, Steven was also concerned about battery acid leaking so, after discussing the situation with Jimmy’s owners, he agreed to operate.

“Jimmy’s a beautiful dog and he’s lucky his owners acted so promptly. Battery acid is highly dangerous to dogs as are large foreign objects, especially if they’re allowed to pass into the intestine.”

To Steven’s surprise, there wasn't a scratch or a tooth mark on the device and even the charging light was still on.

  • Millions of Brit tourists planning ‘spur of the moment’ holiday

Jimmy returned home the morning after surgery, with a cone around his head to stop him licking his stitches.

Rachel said: “He’s a bit sorry for himself, we’re not allowed to exercise him so he has all this energy and nowhere for it to go.

“I have been so worried about him, it’s certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners. I can’t believe the AirPods still work, they’ve had a good clean”

All of Vets Now’s premises always have a vet and vet nurse on site.

They also offer an online video consultation service to make professional veterinary advice more easily available.

Love dogs?

Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!

It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.

While the service is not suitable for life-threatening emergencies, like Jimmy’s, their experienced vets are available to discuss any worries or concerns you might have.

If your pet needs an in-person follow-up appointment at any vet practice, Vets Now will refund the online consultation fee, so you never pay twice.

Source: Read Full Article