A man who allegedly stormed Windsor Castle with a crossbow admitted he was there to "kill the Queen".
Westminster Magistrates Court heard on Wednesday morning Jaswant Singh Chail, 20, explain what he was doing then stopped by police on Christmas Day last year.
At the time of being handcuffed on December 25, Chail was allegedly wearing a mask and hood while carrying a crossbow loaded with a bolt with the safety catch off and ready to fire.
He had made it almost as far as the Queen's private residence, with a line of sight to her apartments, where she was at the time.
Earlier this month Chail was charged with an offence under section 2 of the Treason Act, 1842 which is "discharging or aiming firearms, or throwing or using any offensive matter or weapon, with intent to injure or alarm her Majesty".
Chail, from Southampton, has also been charged with threats to kill under section 16 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 and possession of an offensive weapon under section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.
He appeared by video-link from Broadmoor high-security psychiatric hospital in Berkshire on Wednesday charged with an offence under Section 2 of the Treason Act, possession of an offensive weapon and making threats to kill.
Chail, wearing a dark jacket over a black top, sat at a table with his arms folded during the hearing, speaking to confirm his name, date of birth and current address at Broadmoor.
For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
It was said he was there "with intent to injure" the Queen, the court heard.
A police officer said he looked like someone from a vigilante movie.
A third charge states he had "an offensive weapon, namely a loaded crossbow" in a public place.
Chail was not asked to enter pleas to any of the charges and Chief Magistrate Paul Goldspring remanded him in custody ahead of his next appearance at the Old Bailey on September 14.
Chail allegedly entered an area cut off to the public, while her Majesty was marking her first Christmas since Prince Philip's death aged 99.
Any suspicious activity involving a crossbow beyond the walls of the castle is thought to have remained unknown to the royals celebrating the day inside.
The monarch's annual Christmas address to the nation was broadcasted at roughly the same time.
It had taken several months to charge the suspect because he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
Source: Read Full Article