Harry and Meghan ‘told Queen they never wanted to be on palace balcony’

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told the Queen that they never wanted to be on the balcony at Buckingham Palace for her Platinum Jubilee, according to sources.

It comes after the palace confirmed only working members of the Royal Family could appear on the balcony on June 2 – leaving Harry and Meghan out in the cold.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are returning to the UK next month with their children for the four-day celebration to mark the monarch’s 70-year reign.

Courtiers and aides are continuing to finalise which events they will attend.

Despite claiming that they ‘never wanted to appear on the balcony’, a royal insider claims the pair did insist on attending the Queen’s Thanksgiving Service, as reported by The Sun.

Biographer and pal Omid Scobie, author of Finding Freedom, denied they were “cut” from the balcony line-up and Trooping the Colour, which marks the monarch’s birthday.

Writing for Yahoo news, Mr Scobie said Harry had “spoken with his grandmother about the possibility of not attending Trooping the Colour long before last week’s announcements”.

The Sussexes thought it “inappropriate” to appear at the “balcony moment” as they were no longer working royals, he added.

It comes as royal experts claimed that the couple is attending the celebrations because they "need to be seen as royal" and the decision to come back is "entirely due to branding".

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week that they would travel from California, US to attend Jubilee events in the first week of June.

Since they sensationally stepped down as working royals in 2020, they have only returned to the UK together once, meeting with the Queen at Windsor in April ahead of the Invictus Games.

Keep up to date with all the latest news stories. by signing up for one of Daily Star's free newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article