Denver generator fire creates big smoke cloud on Blake Street

A generator fire sent up a big plume of smoke in downtown Denver Saturday morning, temporarily alarming people nearby.

The generator caught fire at abut 9:51 a.m. Saturday at 1560 Blake Street, according to Denver Fire Department spokesman JD Chism.

“It was a generator fire, a building was doing their normal startups on it and it caught fire,” Chism said. “…”The generator was malfunctioning, and oftentimes when those generators start they have a smoke plume, because they’re reserve generators. They’re usually there for backup power.”

The several-story tall smoke plume caused by the fire prompted several bystanders to inquire with Denver police, but Chism said the fire was short-lived. Still, firefighters stayed on scene for some time to make sure the fire didn’t spread to other parts of the building, he said.

The smoke plume dissipated in about an hour, he added.

“It didn’t last very long,” he said.

Source: Read Full Article