Brit tourist claims food poisoning in Dominican Republican left him paralysed

A man who fell ill on holiday claims he was left paralysed by the food during his week-long all inclusive stay at at the Riu Naiboa resort in the Dominican Republic.

William Marsh, 58, began experiencing stomach cramps and diarrhoea towards the end of his luxury stay to celebrate his 25th wedding anniversary with wife Kathryn.

The TUI holidaymaker told Wales Online his situation worsened upon his return to work, and even woke up one morning unable to feel his legs.

It was then Mr Marsh knew something was "serious" and he was rushed to St Charles Hospital where they diagnosed him with Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

Guillain-Barré Syndrome is a condition that attacks the immune system instead of germs that enter the body.

Mr Marsh sadly ended up spending a long period of time receiving medical are, and three years on, still struggles with the simplest of tasks.

He said: "I need so much help to do even the simplest of tasks now. We had carers visiting the house but because of Covid this was scaled back. I became a lot more reliant on Kathryn for help. Rather than being my wife she is now more my carer.

It’s incredibly difficult to put into words how life has changed over the last few years."

The dad said believes his illness was triggered by a bout of food positions that his wife also experienced, but TUI have denied all responsibility.

He said: "I remain determined to get to the bottom of the cause of my illness but also to raise awareness of the support available.

"Now that life after lockdown is starting to gradually get back to some normality it’s vital that people with brain injuries don’t feel they have to suffer alone as support is out there."

  • Prince Harry 'giving up Brit identity' to build 'closer ties' with LA pals, says expert

Specialist International Serious Injury Lawyers, Irwin Mitchell, now represent William and are investigating his injuries.

In a statement on behold of Irwin Mitchell, Jatinder Paul, said: "What was meant to be a celebration for William and Kathryn has turned to despair with William still greatly impacted by his illness. What happened to William vividly highlights the impact that gastric illnesses can have.

"Understandably lockdown has been incredibly difficult for William who has relied heavily on his family for their continued support. Action for Brain Injury Week is an important reminder of how people with neurological conditions continue to face challenges and are often reliant and the care of others to make the most of life.

"William still has many questions about how he fell ill. We’re determined to help him establish what happened and also secure him access to the specialist support he needs to ensure he gets the best from life."

When asked about the case, a TUI UK spokesperson said: "We’re sorry to hear of Mr Marsh’s experience. As this is now a legal matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further.

"We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene."

Source: Read Full Article