Boy left bloody on TUI holiday from hell after smashing head through glass door

A UK family was left fuming after their 10-year-old was "almost impaled by a sliding glass door" in their TUI "hotel from hell".

The Johnsons, from Middleton, Leeds, also complained of an "eggy" odour wafting from mounds of decaying seaweed next to their resort in Cancún, Mexico.

"It was the hotel from hell. It was dreadful from day one," grandmother Teresa Johnson told LeedsLive of her family's trip to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Cancún from July 22 to August 3.

READ MORE: 'We live in UK's most dangerous village and are too scared to go out after 6pm'

TUI said its customers' "health and safety is our highest priority" and pledged to investigate following the Johnsons' horror experience.

The family forked out an eye-watering £18,108 on their trip for seven, which included Teresa and husband Robert, their son Gavin and his wife Emma, and their children Ollie, 10, Luke, eight, plus the children's cousin Ashton, five.

They booked two rooms with two double beds each and said the children were all charged full price.

When they got to their rooms, however, they noticed a "disgusting" smell they believe was caused by rotting seaweed piled "10 feet high" on the guest's beach.

"The eggy smell was vile, absolutely disgusting," Teresa added.

  • UK's gloomy seaside village with poo bubbling up the streets and 'dreadful' traffic

"It was off-putting. We enjoy a beach holiday and we’ve never had this in Mexico before, you couldn’t even get down on the beach. It was our five-year-old’s very first beach holiday, he’d never been on the sand before and still hasn’t now.

"They stockpiled it, it was 10ft high! It was decayed, it looked like it had been there for months. There were flies. Oh, it was awful.

Robert added: "It was brown murky water, like in the Humber Estuary."

But the seaweed turned out to be the least of their worries after Ollie, 10, accidentally smashed his head through the balcony's glass door.

The family said there were no safety signs or stickers on the glass except for a "tiny blue square" that was "hidden" behind a net curtain.

Teresa said: "We were down near the pool and we could hear Ollie’s mum screaming from a distance. They were screaming for me to come as Ollie had gone through the window. It was just mortifying.

"He was covered in blood, all over his head, feet, stomach and hands. His mum couldn’t bear to look at him, she was just crying."

The Johnson family spoke to LeedsLive before reporting their issues to TUI, who told the publication they would be "following up" with the family directly.

A spokesperson said: "We are very sorry to hear about Ms Johnson’s family holiday experience in Mexico.

"We are working with our hotel partner to investigate some of the claims and we will be following up with the customer directly to update on the circumstances.

"At TUI we aim to give our customers an exceptional experience and we’d like to reassure customers that health and safety is our highest priority."

The Daily Star has contacted Karisma Hotels & Resorts, who runs the hotel, for comment.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article