The number of deaths linked to the novel coronavirus in Colorado climbed to 374 as of Thursday afternoon, with the total number of cases topping 8,600, health officials said. Updated tallies were expected around 4 p.m. on Friday.
Job losses deepened as well, as the Colorado unemployment rate for March surged past the national average to 4.5% up from its historic low of 2.5% the month earlier. Signs point to that number getting worse in April as more Coloradans filed for unemployment last week than did in all of 2019 combined. The Denver Post has compiled resources for those experiencing a job loss.
Also on the job front, we take a look at what’s next for the trucking industry.
Meanwhile, protests have been planned at the state Capitol on Sunday against the “draconian” coronavirus stay-at-home orders. Though, protestors have been asked to wear masks and stand 6 feet apart.
Remember, all Coloradans have been asked to wear non-medical masks when outside their homes to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Want to know how to make one? There’s plenty of ideas floating around in our coronavirus-focused Facebook group.
We are also looking to hear from you. Tell us what the coronavirus outbreak looks like for you and submit your story here.
Throughout the day, we will share the latest coverage from Denver Post journalists on the coronavirus outbreak on this page. Also, bear in mind The Denver Post relies on support from its readers to provide this in-depth coverage of the coronavirus outbreak, so please consider buying a subscription if you haven’t already.
Here are the updates from April 16.
- Frequently asked questions about coronavirus in Colorado
- Coronavirus timeline: An in-depth look at COVID-19 in Colorado
- Colorado coronavirus map: Where are cases being reported?
- Colorado unemployment FAQ: How to apply, details about missing PINs and more
- Do I have the coronavirus? Here’s what to do if you’re not sure.
- What we know now: Updates to your coronavirus questions, a month after COVID-19 was confirmed in Colorado
- Colorado coronavirus housing FAQ: Resources for renters and homeowners
- How social distancing works and what it means for you
What’s new today
- Protests against Colorado’s coronavirus stay-at-home order planned for Sunday at state Capitol
- Going outside is our greatest weapon against losing our sanity, not Netflix or wine
- As ventilators become crucial in coronavirus fight, repair roadblocks remain
- Brauchler: The arbitrary rule closing some Colorado businesses – but not others – must be fixed
- Tips for planning your next online happy hour during the coronavirus shutdown
- What’s next for trucking industry? Many truckers not only looking for freight to haul, but masks and even lunch
- More Coloradans applied for unemployment last week than in all of 2019 as coronavirus’ toll deepens
- Kiszla: Will NBA finish season? “Not a chance,” sports doc insists. With football also iffy, pray baseball can return.
- Thunderbirds to honor frontline workers by flying over Colorado communities
Subscribe to the Checkup Denver newsletter to get the latest coronavirus news sent straight to your inbox.
Source: Read Full Article